Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Anniversary amp questions.

  1. #1
    Inactive Member amh's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello gang,

    I just picked up another anniversary series amp, a 9444A, and as I sit looking at it I have a few questions I want to shoot past the board.

    First, does anyone know where to get the specs/manual for this amp? It is substantially different than my 9444B. The 9444A is really built like a tank. Two huge Mallory caps in the power supply, it looks like the transformer is larger as well. This site has specs for the 9444B but not the "A". Did any of the other anniversary amps go from an A to a B? I never ran across any others in the series with the B suffix. Any insight into the differences between these two amps would be appreciated.

    Todd, maybe this amp is in your stack of "new stuff" you will be adding to the site soon?

    Next question. Do you guys have any tips for servicing the attenuators on the anniversary amps, or is it just take them apart, clean and re-lube? Any favorite brands of pot lube? I also have a 1692A I'd like to clean all the pots on.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi!

    The specs/service manuals for the Altec Anniversary Series amps can be found here:

    http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet...ers/index.html

    The 9444A was a MUCH better amp than the "B", IMHO.

    - Todd

  3. #3
    Inactive Member amh's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the reply Todd,

    I looked at that page and only found the info for the 9444B. I know the owners manual for the 9444A will probably be identical, but the schematics (service manual) will be different. The performance specs may be different as well.

    Any other ideas where to look?

    Thanks again.

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    As far as I know, the A and B share the same schematics, the difference being, as I remember, the quality of parts used in the A, as opposed to the Extra-Viscious imposed cost-cutting measures that went into the B.

    You might check with Ira @ IraTec Pro Audio Repair about this - he'll know for sure.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member amh's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks again Todd,

    I'll check with Ira.

    The layouts do look different. The power supply in the A uses one pair of huge caps to supply both channels. The B uses two pairs of smaller caps (one pair for each channel). The signal path looks a bit different as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.